Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Basic [Vegan] Pesto

Now, this is sort of cheating, because I have adopted this recipe from this link here. However, it's really basic, versatile, and I use it a lot, so I'd like to share it. Plus, of all the vegan pesto recipes, I like it the best. Non-vegans will like it and won't even know the difference, which is why I hesitate to give it the 'vegan' label that tends to scare people away. It would be great in Alletta's recipe for the Pasta with Goat Cheese and Walnut Pesto.

Ingredients:

About 2 cups fresh basil leaves, rinsed and patted dry
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
1 heaping cup nuts (pine nuts are best, but they're pricey, so we usually use walnuts, pecans, almonds, or a mix of whatever we have)
5 cloves garlic (I usually use 7 or so, because I'm a garlic lover)
1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper (to taste)

All you do is mix well in a food processor until it's a lovely, tasty green mush. Usually I have to stir it around a few times to get it just right. My quantities are a little different than the recipe linked to because I like to have a little extra. Why? Because it freezes excellently. I always have some in my freezer to quickly de-thaw and easily add to a meal. It usually lasts us several weeks, then I make more. Trader Joes has a great plastic tub of basil you can buy, if you aren't growing any.

Here are some ideas on what to do with pesto:

-mix with noodles (I like the gluten-free brown rice elbow noodles) and a little nutritional yeast, and maybe a splash of Braggs for some yummy pesto macaroni and "cheese" - or add mozzarella cheese if you prefer.

-spread on a whole wheat tortilla with mozzarella cheese (or vegan "cheese") and grill yourself a pesto quesadilla (or you can use slices of bread to make a grilled cheese sandwich ). Add fresh tomato to make it Caprese style! In fact, it's great as a spread for pretty much any sandwich.

-add globs of it as a pizza topping, or spread it on a pizza crust instead of tomato sauce.

-eat it as a dip with pita chips (this was discovered on accident at one of the 4th of July beach house gatherings). Mmm!

-mix it in with a salad instead of using dressing.

As you can see, it's very versatile, easy to make, easy to store for later, and yummy, which makes it an A+ in my book. Enjoy!

No comments: